Did you just meet a person or do you have friends who wear hearing aids or cochlear implants? Do you see that you speak with sign language or use a bimodal system (Speak and sign at the same time)? Do you have difficulties to understand you? If you have a friend like that, surely he is deaf or has a hearing disability that you will save between you without much effort!
- Before talking to him or her, he captures their attention through eye contact or even a light touch. In this way, you will understand that you want to start a conversation.
- Make sure I can read your lips well, it will help you to understand yourself much better.
- Speak slowly and look at his face, it will help him a lot.
- It is not necessary to speak louder or whisper, speak in your normal tone. If you do not do it like that, unconsciously you will be complicating the lip reading
- If you use sign language, even if you do not know, try to use gestures that accompany what you are saying, you will see how you help him to understand you.
It is said that whoever has a friend has a treasure and within the collectives with deaf people, this maxim also applies. In fact, it is increasingly common to see groups of mixed friends, that is, normal-listeners together with deaf people who express themselves through sign language. See them understand is an art and even within the same group of people, can speak differently to each other!
Remember, a deaf person only has problems to hear you, but nothing more! As soon as you find a way to communicate, everything will flow much more easily!
Notice how important it is for a deaf person to communicate with society, the following video summarizes a surprise that was prepared for a boy with profound deafness, all the people in which he lived learned sign language. Without a doubt, his face of joy says it all …